Albums of 2013!
1. Julia Holter Loud City Song
2. Neko Case The Worse Things Get, the Harder I Fight, the Harder I Fight, the More I Love You
3. Deerhunter Monomania
4. Kurt Vile Wakin on a Pretty Daze
5. Devendra Banhart Mala
6. Potty Mouth Hell Bent
7. Waxahatchee Cerulean Salt
8. Sky Ferreira Night Time, My Time
9. Sylvan Esso Hey Mami
10. Speedy Ortiz Major Arcana
10. Hunx and his Punx Street Punk
10. Mazzy Star Seasons of Your Day
Best Shows of 2013!
1. The first hour of Cat Power at Cat's Cradle: grrrl's gotta cry tied with seeing Cat Power and not crying in Berlin during study abroad. I can't tell if I enjoyed crying or not crying better.
2. Deerhunter at Cat's Cradle: it was their last show of their tour, and they played only requests.
3. Secret Toro y Moi show at The Pinhook vs a horticulture exam the next morning (spoiler alert, I didn't do so well).
4. The Blow: what the hell happened. She touched my butt.
5. Angel Olsen at Hopscotch: it was such a moving performance. And then we got down to Sylvan Esso thirty minutes later. Hopscotch: the emotional roller coaster.
6. Convincing Museum Mouth to play in the WKNC kids' basement: they dedicated a song to me called "Drool", and I got a boy to crowd surf to the bathroom in the hallway upstairs.
7. William Tyler / Loamlands at The Pinhook: is there anything better?
8. Anamanaguchi at Kings: I don't even like internet music, but that was nuts. I've never seen Kings so broken.
9. Spider Bags / Gross Ghost at The Pinhook: even being post-holiday season broke, I bought all of the buyable merch for both bands to fall hopelessly into local music love.
10. Sylvan Esso at Hopscotch: I'd just interviewed them, and they were so pleasant and downright endearing. I wanted to skip through the flowers of friendship with them. And then they busted a move at Hopscotch that was so dirty, I never recovered.